Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Today's painting


This is today's practice painting. I'm doing a larger painting that features this peeled orange and I thought it'd be fun to do a small study. It's 5x7 oil.
The rest of the painting has one of my favorite bowls. A small silver bowl with a blue laquered interior. I like the green background. I may use it for the large painting as well.
I spent some of this afternoon browsing through a book about the Dutch masters. I'm quite partial to the portraits and especially the still lifes. I dont know that I'd ever try one of those complicated fru-fru flower ones, but I love the variety of surfaces in the paintings. Big pewter tankard, silver dish, always a peeled orange for some reason. sometimes bugs or a dead fish. Not sure the point of the bugs or fish. But...I love the look and I love the challenge of the different textures.
So...just thought I'd post todays work while the big one is in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment